Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 03:19:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      bgingery@gtcs.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/4343: TkRat port submitted (Essentially a Tk-ized Pine)

>Number:         4343
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       New ports submission - GUI E-Mail util
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	X11 Tk/Tcl-scripted-GUI E-Mail User Agent

	TkRat - a new mailer by Martin Forssen <maf@dtek.chalmers.se>,
	of Göteborg, Sweden, essentially does something I've thought
	about for a couple of years - it marries Tcl scripting, a Tk
	interface, with the functionality of the Pine user mail agent,
	while adding Pop3 to the supported remote-mailbox protocols.

	Although the submitted port is for FreeBSD, of course, the
	distribution includes makes for 32-bit Windows and Mac, too.

	Named for a mythological Norse squirrel, TkRat handles get/put
	with remote IMAP mailboxes, get from remote POP3 mailboxes,
	as well as local BSD=mbox, and mh mailboxes.  It may not have
	it all, but it seems (with a make and first use) to do everything
	that Pine or Netscape does (except SSLeay encryption - it *does*
	support pgp and MIME-pgp, including sign/en[de]crypt or both.)

	Has an internal compose window or is happy to launch the editor
	of your choice (Pico, vi, xedit, e93 xemacs, xvile .. you name it)
	for composition of text messages, including the interrupted-
	compose option so handy in Pine.

	Direct incoming support for text/plain, image/gif and message/rfc822
	including multipart/mixed and multipart/alternate, and
	Quoted-printable and Base64 encoding.  Evidently not text/richtext
	and certainly not application/richtext - so it's no NeXTmail.

	Oh, it uses a Tcl script for an addressbook (aliases), but
	imports Pine's .addressbook on initial startup.  It does NOT
	(in this version) know about Netscape v4's vCards.

	It's also a good candidate for linking with TKstep (not done in
	*this* port) for the addition of native JPEG and Tiff images.

	Supports MIME in headers and DSN ESMTP - and will even probe
	your sendmail 8.*.* to find out if *it* supports DSN ESMPT.
	It's distributed already multi-lingual, and is a GREAT candidate
	for extension to full i18n.

	The port, as submitted, depends on: imap-wu and tk42, but the
	distribution appears to also support Tcl/Tk 7.5/4.1 and 8.x.

	It doesn't seem to have (yet) the capacity to auto-delete
	From: *@savetrees.com  but that MIGHT just not be hard to do!
	If anyone does it, please send me a copy :)  It *does* support
	separating of "Delivery Reports" from normal mail, but may
	get confused with reports of messages sent via a mailing list
	(as I sit and view a couple hundred delivery failures from
	a com-priv posting that mistakenly had a Return-Receipt-To
	header intact).

	Seems solid in my first few sessions!

>How-To-Repeat:

	Once moved from incoming/ to mail/, make the port.

>Fix:

	1.  Fix the imap-wu port so that headers matching c-client.so.2.1
	   are also installed.
	2.  Change the path passed from the top-level (port) Makefile
	   to point to *installed* headers, instead of enclosed ones,
	   which as time goes on might not match the current imap-wu port.