Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 01:58:39 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 12:37:21AM -0700, Nicole wrote:

> On 04-May-98 Open Systems Networking wisely wrote:
> > Seriously though, I think that part of the problem with the "free" is bad
> > mentality when talking about FreeBSD's name is that people don't realize
> > just how used FreeBSD is in coporate america. No it isn't selling like

[ Right, That's enough ]

> Right!
>  That is why I feel we really need a web page on the FreeBSD site that
> highlites the companies more. Then there is a place for people to see
> someone from BigXCo saying " we use FreeBSD" That is something can can be
> looked at, counted and paraded.

Gotta agree here. I have been talking to a few startups lately and 3 times
the following has happened....

<Startup> "... HP and Solaris cost too much, SCO sucks too hard, and NT has
to be rebooted every week. How would solve this problem."

<Mercenary Bastard> "Have you looked into FreeBSD. Rant, Rant, Rant..."

<Startup> Eyes glaze over

<M.B.> "...it's used by Best Internet, Yahoo, Media City..."

<Startup> Comes to life. "Yahoo uses FreeBSD!?!?? Do you know what version,
how about the hardware they are running on. Can you build us a box just
like yahoo's ? What kind of network cards do they use. What color are their
network cables?...."

We need to emphasize the success we have had with large companys. From my
observation, the most common business model is the Lemming model otherwise
know as, "Me, Too!" (TM). A large number of business are content to follow
the hairy butt in front of them no matter where its going. Their thought is
"He is ahead of me, he must be doing something right. 50,000
lemmings^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbusiness can't be wrong. What cliff?" I think this
explains the sudden rise in the popularity of Red Hat Linux.

One successful IPO using FreeBSD helps us gain more market share that 10
ISPs or 100 University research projects. The technical merits of FreeBSD
vs. Linux means little to these people. If we can produce an uptime at
least 10 times grater that the average NT box and be able to point to a
number of successful IPOs using FreeBSD then we have made a convert and a
sale.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.6
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses