Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:33:21 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mike@seidata.com
Cc:        Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 3.0 installation problems

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9810252038390.28404-100000@ns1.seidata.com> mike@seidata.com writes:
: > certainly no X apps/libraries.  Emacs is handy to have to edit configuration
: > files and such when one telnets to the machine to make a change.
:
: I agree...  have you, perhaps, tried uemacs?

emacs can be configured to be used w/o X.  When I need one of these on
a machine that already has X installed, I usually cd to
/usr/ports/editors/emacs do a make configure, let it finish, then cd
to work/whatever and do a ./configure `./config.status` --without-x11,
then cd ../.. and build.

Unless the machine has < 3M of memory, emacs isn't a horrible choice
for an editor.  I've used emacs on machines with as little as 4M of
memory from time to time.  While I wouldn't want to use it all the
time every day on those machines, it is better than having to recall
my vi skills.

uemacs is interesting, but it isn't gnu emacs.  This is both good and
bad :-)

Warner