Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 09:56:06 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Top status from an SMP box

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hello Greg,
> I am sorry I (forgot) to mention the finer details.
> This box runs FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE. I updated it from 4.0 to 4.2 to 4.3 via
> CVSUP and run mergemaster after every 'make world'. It is a box that I
> inherited from a former employee. The only difference I made to it is
> compiling an SMP kernel when I updated it. Since then all I've seen in the
> output of top (invoked just by typing 'top') is confusion (me confused).

What's confusing to you? Your top output looks normal to me for an SMP
machine. It appears from the output below that your processor is running
~95% idle. Keep in mind that when you first start top it takes a few
seconds to display any values.

> Well my guess about the load is as bad as you think - pure guess, because
> that is about what I used to see when it was running on a single
> processor. It is also true that the output of 'top' I pasted was slightly
> modified to fit into my mail Window, only I did not realize it would miss
> out on some details.
>
> Here is an output of 'top -SI' (I'm not modifying it in any way)
>
> last pid: 98886;  load averages:  0.05,  0.05,  0.02    up 1+20:53:04
> 07:48:06
> 64 processes:  2 running, 61 sleeping, 1 zombie
> CPU states:  1.1% user,  0.0% nice,  3.9% system,  0.2% interrupt, 94.8%
> idle
> Mem: 83M Active, 11M Inact, 22M Wired, 6372K Cache, 22M Buf, 488K Free
> Swap: 350M Total, 39M Used, 311M Free, 11% Inuse
>   PID USERNAME        PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU
> COMMAN
> D                                     6040         1      8  1.66%  1.66
> 9 469 squid            28   0 92008K  1168K CPU1   0  88:37  4.73%  1.56%
> squid
> 98885 bishop1           2   0  1052K   620K sbwait 1   0:00  0.35%  0.05%
> popa3
> 98871 geocarjones      28   0  1052K   580K CPU0   1   0:00  0.00%  0.00%
> popa3
>
> NB: What would be the cause of a version mismatch, the effects and how do
> I test for such an anomally? How do I rectify the situation in case I have
> a version mismatch?

I doubt you have a version mismatch. If you did, it would be caused by
upgrading your system, then building/installing either a new world, or
new kernel - one but not the other. If you still suspect a version
mismatch, the easiest way is to rebuild/reinstall both the world and the
kernel. This will insure that your versions match.

-Bill