Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:58:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: g77 - status?

> Could someone give me a short brief-in on the issues related with
> using g77 instead of f77 (f2c) under FreeBSD-2.2.5?

Not much different, really.  You call 'g77' rather than 'f77' to
compile.

> Can g77 be installed out of the box from the package? I did and it
> seems so.

Yup.

> Does it use libf2c.a or does it have it's own runtime library?

It still uses libf2c.

> Has there been a problem with g77 under FreeBSD-2.2.2 ?

We didn't have any.  The resultant code seems to perform fairly
similarly to that produced by f2c, but the error messages are generally
better.  There are some extra F90 language features that none of our
users touched, so I can't speak for them.

I would certainly recommend it just for the improved error reporting,
and I suspect that the non-improvements in performance probably had
more to do with the outrageously bogus code that we were feeding it
than any shortcomings in the compiler itself.