Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 01:36:57 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: UPGRADE 2.2.8 to 4.0R

Quoting Crist J. Clark                                Monday, June 12, 2000
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 01:55:23PM -0700, Everett F Batey wrote:

/snip/
>> Ideas about running IPFW and NATD on web/mail server ?  Still a
>> recompile ?

> Ideas about running ipfw(8) and NAT on a web/mail server:

>   - If there is no firewall somewhere else between this machine and
>     the Internet, then ipfw is a very good idea.

>   - Unless the machine is also a gateway, it should not need NAT.

>   - If the machine is to be a gateway-NAT box for a protected network
>     of any size, it should probably be held to a higher security standard
>     (i.e. cut bare-bones and running a few potentially exploitable
>     daemons as possible). Put mail and web on a different machine than
>     that doing the NAT and firewalling.

   Along these lines I'd like to ask if a "triple-homed routing
bridge" (i.e. 3 NIC's, 2 of which are connected to ISP's and one to
the "internal" LAN) is conceivable or even feasable. If I have my
terminology right a "bridge" connects multiple networks with
optionally (preferably for me) a firewall in place that does not
decrement the TTL of a packet since none of the NIC's on the bridge
have IP's. Would a FreeBSD 3.4R box be capable of this kind of setup?

   This is -almost- the networking question I asked several days ago
but I didn't get much input then .. hope to hear from you soon!

--Ben Williams
mailto:received@email dot com