Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:20:35 -0800
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Rob <europax@home.com>, "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do you get kids interested in computers- other than playing games?

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:29:37PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
[...]
> Put MacOS X on it two weeks from now. It should have a pretty enough
> interface to keep him amused. And a solid foundation underneath.
>
> My brother started his kids early. They could type before they could
> talk. About 8 years old now and still not programming. But for the last
> couple of years they have been "writing books." They write the darndest
> things which almost make sense. Much like in the moments before waking
> when dreams almost make sense.

I'm no parent, but I like this answer best - MacOS X is probably good (like
the Amiga I cut my teeth on) where you get a cuddly GUI but over the years you
roll up sleeves more often to get down and dirty.

But the real answer is that "maybe the kid don't want to code, but he'll find
something else cool to do."  You sure he wants to grow up to be a l33t h4XX0R?
Maybe he is interested in writing, or art, or music ... Mac is a good platform
for this, as far as I can tell.  Go for OS X.  Linux is not yet a good
plaything for a youngster looking to find his interest.

Another argument for not doing the Windows thing is that it may encourage
non-conventional thinking. :)

My 2c.

-danny