Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 14:52:48 -0400
From:      Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
To:        Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7000 ports!

@Jordan,

I guess you've called me out, haha.
I honestly hadn't thought of a better solution (or even a *different* solution)
I was just pointing out that another solution might be more ideal.

However, I have faith in the FreeBSD community in general!  Lets all chip
in with suggestions on a suitable solution.  :-)

At 11:36 AM 5/25/2002 -0700, Jordan K Hubbard wrote:
>Your points are certainly well-taken.  What metrics would you suggest as
>more fair and democratic?  It's hard to measure fixes as easily as submissions.
>
>On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 11:23 AM, Jeff Palmer wrote:
>
>>Jordan,
>>
>>While I agree that 10,000 ports will be a truly great benchmark, I don't
>>agree 100% with a prize for the top 3 contributors from 7000 -> 10000.
>>
>>Doing so forgets us "little people" who watch bento, and make submissions
>>to update broken ports.
>>10,000 ports sounds great,  unless 1/3 of them don't work :-)
>>True, adding a new port is more tedious than just updating a few files to
>>get the latest version, or updating the MASTER_SITES= with the latest
>>homepage/download page.  However this is a community effort.
>>
>>I do like the idea of rewarding the top 3 (or whatever number)
>>contributors.. but I think it should be on a broader scale.
>>
>>Before anyone accuses me of whining,  I already know that I'd never make
>>the top 3 for either category.  I'd probably not even be in the top 300.
>>

>>Jeff Palmer
>>scorpio@drkshdw.org
>>
>>At 10:58 AM 5/25/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>>*Applause*
>>>
>>>Agreement with Kris - well done, folks!  When we hit 10,000, we
>>>*definitely* have to have a little ceremony and maybe award some kind of
>>>prize to the 10,000th (or maybe the top 3 contributors who bring it from
>>>7000 to 10000 if we want to be more fair about it).  I'll talk to the
>>>Daemon News and FreeBSD Mall folks about the prize side. :-)
>>>
>>>- Jordan
>>

>--
>Jordan K. Hubbard
>Engineering Manager, BSD technology group
>Apple Computer

Jeff Palmer
scorpio@drkshdw.org

FreeBSD, The power to serve!      |      Distributed.net, the worlds
fastest computer
     http://www.freebsd.org             |
http://www.distributed.net