Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2016 22:32:04 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   autologout: from serial console, how?

--Sig_/CVAqPIToeTUk4Wi5Q1kEfZL

I try to auto logout root from a serial console initiated via tip.

Therefore, I plaeced the following into /etc/login.conf (followed by cap_mk=
db)

defaul: \
	:idletime=3D600:

definig 600 seconds idletime before automatic logout.

That doesn't work!

I also placed for csh:

setenv autologout 5

in /etc/csh.cshrc for a 5 minutes idle time, I also set, just in case for u=
sing
sh/bash/ksh

export TMOUT=3D5

in /etc/profile.

Neither of these approaches result in the desired bahviour!

By accident, I left a console session open to a serial wired NanoBSD router=
 project,
connecting via tip. After a reboot of the host which opened the session, I =
was able to
tip-login as root without being prompted for password. So I realised that t=
here is no
autologout on FreeBSD's default installation for root or other tty/console =
connections to
a host.

Do I miss something here?

"Mastering FreeBSD and OpenBSD Security" seems to be outdated hopeless.

Please CC me, I do not subscribe the list.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver