Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:17:04 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        lioux@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: spaces in RUN_DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:49:50AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Following up on 20021121230418.6004.qmail@exxodus.fedaykin.here, I have
> compiled a list of the ports which contains either trailing spaces,
> leading spaces, or multiple embedded spaces within either the RUN_DEPENDS
> or BUILD_DEPENDS output. We have yet to establish whether or not this is
> actually a problem, but the list of such ports (with maintainer and
> RUN_DEPENDS, BUILD_DEPENDS) is at
> http://www.freshports.org/tmp/ports_spaces_depends.tgz (the file is about
> 62KB, the uncompressed file is about 3.5MB).  Approximately 900 ports are
> affected.
>
> I have summarized the totals below as taken from a FreshPorts database
> backup from yesterday. There will be overlap between each query as ports
> may exhibit multiple symptoms.

Err... there is a thinking in error in this: it takes both the
values from the ports Makefile and the one added by the ports-framework.

For example, look at archivers/fileroller:
Your database contains:

RUN_DEPENDS: bzip:/usr/ports/archivers/bzip  lha:/usr/ports/archivers/lha  rar:/usr/ports/archivers/rar  lzop:/usr/ports/archivers/lzop

Looking at the Makefile (last modified 2002/11/13), I see this:
RUN_DEPENDS=	bzip:${PORTSDIR}/archivers/bzip \
		lha:${PORTSDIR}/archivers/lha \
		rar:${PORTSDIR}/archivers/rar \
		lzop:${PORTSDIR}/archivers/lzop

make -V RUN_DEPENDS outputs this to:
bzip:/usr/ports/archivers/bzip  lha:/usr/ports/archivers/lha  rar:/usr/ports/archivers/rar  lzop:/usr/ports/archivers/lzop   /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/.keep_me:/usr/ports/misc/gnomehier

There are your double spaces, which weren't originally in the Makefile.

Further more, BUILD_DEPENDS is often extended by the framework, if you add USE_GMAKE=yes or USE_REINPLACE=yes:
gmake:/usr/ports/devel/gmake    /usr/local/bin/sed_inplace:/usr/ports/textproc/s
ed_inplace

The port itself can't do anything about this, but still will get
complained about.

Just my 2 cents regarding the data.

Edwin

--