Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 09:13:41 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        abe@purdue.edu
Subject:   State of sysutils/lsof on RELENG_6

This is more of a "FYI" mail than that of "it's broken! Fix it!".
Chances are users will mail -ports about this eventually.

Today on EFNet #bsdports, it was mentioned that on a users' RELENG_6_3
machine, sysutils/lsof wasn't building.  I tried the same on our
RELENG_6 box (build date of January 14th -- yet /usr/src on that same
box is csup'd daily) and received the semi-famous dnode.c errors stating
lf_flags was missing from the lockf struct.

Both systems above were attempting to build lsof 4.80, PORTEPOCH=2.

The issue appears to be caused by /usr/include/sys/lockf.h differing
greatly from that of /usr/src/sys/sys/lockf.h on both systems.  Other
users determined that a present-day RELENG_6 system (world built
recently) worked fine, which makes sense based on the below.

The reason it's broken is due to MFC'd lockf changes in RELENG_6, dated
April 24th (see revision 1.18.2.2):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/sys/lockf.h

I'd recommend adding an OSVERSION check to sysutils/lsof/Makefile,
requesting the user update their system if older than April 24th.  But
there doesn't appear to be an OSVERSION for this MFC that applies to
6.x.  There is one for 7.x (700108), but none for RELENG_6 that I can
see.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/freebsd-versions.html

Advice?

CC'ing Vic (purely as an information gesture), and port maintainer.