Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:26:08 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jonathan Gray <jsg@goblin.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: incorrect statement on www page

--YzytRCpZNWCht94M

On Friday, 29 April 2005 at 17:19:07 +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 04:31:22PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> I disagree; the wording isn't misleading. However, to address such concerns,
>>> it might be better worded as "comes with full source code, and also ships
>>> with some binary driver components".
>>
>> A more accurate statement might be:
>>
>>   "FreeBSD is available free of charge and comes with full source
>>   code.  In addition, many third-party drivers are available, some in
>>   source, others in binary-only format".
>>
>> The important thing is that the FreeBSD project is not withholding
>> *any* source code.  The only binary-only components are from other
>> people who don't allow distribution of *their* source.
>
> If these binary only components come with FreeBSD they are part
> of FreeBSD as far as most people are concerned.

I suppose that depends on their intellect.  How would you describe
this distinction?

> There are binary components with no publically available source code
> in FreeBSD, so it is not full source code.

For some definition of "in".  Are you trying to imply that we withhold
source code to base FreeBSD?  Would it be a better product if we were
to suppress distribution of those third party components which are
available only in binary?

> Additionally supporting such things hinders progress on acceptable
> alternatives be they drivers with full source or use of other
> vendors.

How?

Greg

--YzytRCpZNWCht94M