Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:23:44 -0500
From:      "Martin Gignac" <freebsd@mobilitylab.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird syslogd behavior when logging to remote hosts?

Hi,

I am running a FreeBSD 4.5-release server and have noticed what looks like an
odd behavior on the part of the syslogd daemon.

I have an /etc/syslogd.conf file with the following line in it:

*.*                         @loghost.domain.com

After every reboot, syslogd seems to stop sending logging information to the
loghost. I need to run a 'kill -HUP <syslogd pid> after every reboot to get
it to send logging information remotely again. Has anyone noticed this before
or is anybody able to reproduce this behavior? If so, is there a fix for it
or am I simply doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Martin