Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 05:30:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem / cuaa1 / ppp weirdness

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Doug Young wrote:

> I'm attempting to setup two ISA internal modems in a 486dx2-66 running
> FreeBSD 4.0. The reason for internal ones is that the box was needed
> urgently
> (its a permanently connected internet gateway) and the bits lurking around
> didn't
> include a multi I/O card with 16550 UARTS. The internet modem has been
> running well on cuaa0 for weeks, but I need to get the second modem on cuaa1
> configured so it can connect the first LAN to a Win2000 / Win9x LAN a few
> suburbs away. The motherboard is ISA / VESA, so there's no onboard COM ports
> to cause conflicts, and both modems have jumper IRQ configuration.
>
> I checked the kernel configuration file for tun & ppp devices, there are two
> of each so I figure that won't need any modification.
>
> (1) Despite the first modem working well, the output of dmesg looks weird to
> me.
>  sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
>  sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: configured irq3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq3 on isa0
> sio1: type 16550A

That's likely to happen if the hardware device is not configured to use
irq 3. Are you sure you've set the jumpers to use irq 3?

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/