Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2000 23:11:09 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        webmaster@wmptl.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP vs CNAME

Troy Settle wrote:

> Oh man...  you like to pick nits.

	The problem is, DNS is just that way. If you don't get it exactly right,
it won't work.

> I didn't think I'd have to go quite so
> far as to bore everyone with an SOA record.  But since you insist:
>
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.isp.net. hostmaster.isp.net. (
>               2000060401  10800  3600  3600000  86400 )
>         IN    MX  10   mailhost.isp.net.
>         IN    MX  20   spooler.isp.net.
>         IN    NS       ns1.isp.net.
>         IN    NS       ns2.isp.net.
> @       IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
> www     IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
> mail    IN    CNAME    mailhost.isp.net.
>
> Happy now?

	Nope. That won't work either. I reiterate:

> ** you can't combine
> ** CNAME RR's and other RR's for the same host.

	Try actually loading up a zone file that looks like that and you'll see
what I mean.

> Actually, I don't use CNAMEs that often, and never realized this.

	So why are we having this conversation? You obviously don't understand
what I'm talking about, and you don't have enough background to be
disagreeing with me. I'm not trying to be rude, but I hate seeing people
give bad advice on a public list. Innocent users might be misled.