Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:13:03 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Restructure of the front page

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:56:08 -0800
underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen) wrote:

> Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
> > The key word here is 'mentions', and the idea here is not to just
> > mention, but link to information.
>
> But that is a BAD idea, IMO, given the information that you propose be
> linked to and where you propose to place the links.  The key word was

I proposed to make it easier for people to find information applicable
to thier specific environment.

> "user"; the information is not appropriate for users who are not
> developers.  It's worse PR than letting them think that the web site

So you HAVE to be a developer to use Alpha, AMD64, or a Sun UltraSparc?
I strongly disagree with this, in fact I know several people with
Sun machines who are not developers.  They use them at work and they
use them at home.

> is incomplete, IMO.  It also discourages the writing of something
> appropriate for them.

Would you prefer the 'platforms' information be moved down?  I
have other changes I wish to make and I feel that after you
get the 'whole picture' you would agree with them...

--
Tom Rhodes