Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 1999 22:06:55 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@sendmail.com>
To:        "Dan Lazin" <dan.lazin@su.ualberta.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var is full, though it shouldn't be

Hi Dan,

You really can use the space that you have in /usr for other things.  with
your current configuration I'd recommend moving everything in /var to
/usr/var then making /var a symbolic link to /usr/var.
Run something like the following as user root:

    mkdir /usr/var
    cd /var
    pax -rwvpe . /usr/var
    mv /var /var-
    ln -s /usr/var /var
    reboot

The reason that /var filled when you ran vi on a a 16 Mbyte file is that vi
uses /var/tmp to store its recovery copy of the origional. Vi is not the best
tool for looking at a big logging file. Use more(1) or less(1) to do that.

I'd consider mounting /tmp where you are mounting /var now. Do this
after the above is complete, and you are satisfied that everything
is still working.

BTW. I might be a crumudgen that is giving you bad advice.  Check
the manual pages for the commands I've given you and be sure that
I have not told you to give me the keys to the kingdom.

chris

PS: Unless the tool you are using for log analisys is realy dumb to unix
conventions you should be able to process all your logs without merging the
files.  Just list them all on the command line of the log summerizer:

    logsum /usr/local/apache/logs/*_log

"Dan Lazin" writes:
    Hello, all.

    I was running cat to squish together various apache log files so that they
    could be analyzed by by new log-analyzers, and /var ran out of disk space
    (my log files total around 8Mb, so when I took all of that and put it into
    new file, I had 16Mb of logs, plus over 4Mb of other stuff). No problem. I
    deleted the new log, and told cat to build it over on / .

    Then / ran out of space (I'm not really with it today). So I tried /usr
    instead, and that worked fine. Then I noticed that this logfile was 16Mb,
    and had grabbed the biggest of the logfiles twice. So I tried to open it up
    in vi, but this seems to have been a bad idea. I got told that I had a full
    filesystem, and, once again, it was /var. But /var shouldn't be full. I ran
    'ls -l -R' and I have nowhere near 20Mb of stuff. It's closer to 5Mb, since
    I've now moved all of my logfiles over to /usr/log and symlinked that to
    /var/log. What's eating up that space, and how do I rid myself of it?

    df sez:
    esther# df
    Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/wd0s1a     39647    18477    17999    51%    /
    /dev/wd0s1f   2852470   240264  2384009     9%    /usr
    /dev/wd0s1e     19815    18699     -469   103%    /var
    procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

    Many thanks in advance.

    (note: I just tried to send this, and it's refusing to take it since /var i
    full, so I've had to use an account on another server. I want my mail
    service back!)

    Dan Lazin

__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@sendmail.com>