Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:24:31 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:08:51 +1100
Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:31:51AM -0500, Don Bowman wrote:
>
> > periodically (once a day or so), i'm getting a panic
> > as 'panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block'.
> [...]
> > Suggestions on what I should look for or try?
>
> Dropping to single user mode & forcing a fsck (with the -f option)
> should fix this. It's a symptom of some kind of filesystem
> inconsistency that soft updates isn't expecting, and that background
> fsck isn't trying to detect or repair.

I would first try to do a fsck -n. If you get a lot of this bad block
-1428886735890689256, ino 2049427 DON'T fsck unless you have back-ups
(in which case newfs would be easier and less time consuming).
Otherwise try to copy the data out of it provided you can mount the disk
(which you probably can.)

Experience speaking (on ATA, not SCSI): fsck dumping core on this
errors, or in the god case "recovering" next to zero, but Gigs of files
in good state (read correct md5 sums); reproduce a few times.
 Strange, at lest to me.

In any case investigate the hardware.

--
IOnut