Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:17:08 +0200
From:      Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC Card modem problems

Hi,

I've just upgraded my Toshiba Satellite 310CDT (P200, 96MB RAM) from 4.3
to 4.4-STABLE, and now my PC Card modem is acting quite strangely.
I have two PC Cards in the laptop: my trusty 3Com 589D and a 3Com
Megahertz 56k modem. Both worked fine under 4.3 (the NIC got IRQ 7 and
the modem IRQ 3). However, under 4.4-STABLE, initially, my modem didn't
work at all. I've searched Usenet, and it seems I'm not the only one
having problems.
The first thing I noticed is that both the NIC and the modem were
assigned IRQ 3. The NIC then worked, the modem didn't. Removing the NIC
didn't help.
Having "hw.pcic.intr_path=1" in /boot/loader.conf doesn't help.
But now when I change the PCMCIA mode in my laptop's BIOS from
"auto-detect" to "Cardbus/16-bit", FreeBSD detects pcic as a ToPic95b
controller (instead of ToPic97 if it is set to "auto-detect"), and
everything works, even without hw.pcic.intr_path=1.

Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Sven