Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:21:52 -0800
From:      Kevin Smith <smithcam@adelphia.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   complete system backup recommendations

Hello,  I'm asking for current recommendations on how to backup my
complete system (OS and all installed ports and user directories)  now
that i've spent quite a bit of time getting it right.  i'd hate to have
to reinstall everything again in the event of a drive failure.  Here is
my allocation:

 > df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s2a   5948558 3071326  2401348    56%    /
/dev/ad0s2d  23498930 1377932 20241084     6%    /home

Questions:

1)  Should I purchase an inexpensive drive and clone the filesystems ?
If so, what is the best way to do this.  Drives are inexpensive and I
20G backup drive would be fairly cheap.
2) I'm installing a DVD drive - I suppose I could make DVD backups
across multiple CD's.
3) any sugs ?