Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:32:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        sean@dreamfire.net (Sean-Paul Rees)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processor upgrade,  minor problem.

> > You most likely (reason I say ``most likely'' is below) have
> > an IDT/Centaur CPU chip, which FreeBSD has not been updated
> > to fully understand, and this does not print the Features
> > values.
> >
> > One interesting thing about the IDT chips is that it is possible
> > to reprogram the Origin string, and some one else may copy this
> > miss feature in the future.  If you do a yahoo search on the
> > above ID string you'll find a few web sites that talk about this
> > misfeature.
> >

> I'm no processor/software brainiac here,  but will this affect performance
> of the chip in anyway?  It does perform (so far) about 30& better than my
> Intel P133.

Very hard to answer, given that we have not done any qualification
testing of the IDT chips (nor do we plan to, we use either Intel or
AMD products here, which we have qualified).  If the IDT chip does
a faithful duplication of the Pentium it should work, but if the
chip has unknown bugs, well... it can bite!

Do note that IDT is claiming support for Linux, Solaris and Unix
in general, so at least they knew to test for more than just
compatibility with Microsoft.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD