Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:24:33 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIS file 'ypservers'

Hi!

A small questions regarding NIS:

Do I really need to put the master server in the file ypserver. From
reading the man pages, I believe that only yppush uses this file, and
uses it when pushing maps to slave servers. Since adding a slave, I get
this message every time I do a make in /var/yp:

Updating group.byname...
yppush: transfer of map group.byname to server master.partitur.se failed
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Master's version not newer

'master.partitur.se' is the master server, and the master is itself a
client (i.e. the password file is in /var/yp and access is limited using
netgroups).

This is FreeBSD 2.2.7.

Probably I'm wrong ;-) There should be other users for this file; it's
also a NIS map. But then maybe the Makefile is not correct?

Thanks for your input!

/Palle