Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:42:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jan Koum <jkb@best.com>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a 486 ISA System

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Frank Griffith wrote:

>I am trying to install a port over the Internet and keep hosing-up
>during the process. I am still at a very fundamental level with
>the FreeBSD OS, and would really like to be able to get this
>thing connected. I did the install from FTP over the Internet
>so the darn thing should be close.
>
>Let me list each step I'm taking and if you can just point out what
>I need to do different, I think I can make this happen! Remember,
>don't assume I'm doing anything else in between these steps.
>This is exactly and only what I am doing.
>
>1. I start my FreeBSD system and login as root.
>
>2. At the # prompt I typed ftp ftp.cdrom.com.
>   I get this line echoed on the display - ftp: ftp.cdrom.com: Unknown host
>
>3. I assume that I must make a ppp connection first so I type quit at the
>   ftp> prompt and press <Enter>
>
>4. Back at the # prompt I type ppp<Enter>.
>
>5. I type term<Enter>.
>
>6. I type atdtxxxxxx-xxxx (x = the phone number to my ISP)<Enter>
>
>7. I get a connection and login to my ISP.
>
>8. I see this line:
>    PPP session from (206.66.11.193) to 206.66.11ppp ON > Packet Mode
>
>9. I then get this prompt PPP ON >.

	Then type "add 0 0 HISADDR"

	Then switch to another terminal with ALT-F2 or ALT-F3 and login
there. After that do "ftp 165.113.121.81" (165.113.121.81 is
ftp.freebsd.org, but use IP address in case your DNS is not yet
configured)
	See "man ppp" on how to automate ppp dial-up. See "man 5
resolv.conf" on how to setup your DNS resolver.

-- Yan