Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:29:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@dimensional.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager and switching hard drives (part 2)

>> I've recently changed my hard drives around and am having difficulty
>> getting FreeBSD going again. Old setup:
>> 	Primary master 1G: Freebsd
>> 	Primary slave 420M: Win3.1
>> New setup:
>> 	PM 4G: Win95
>> 	Secondary master 1G: Freebsd (unchanged)
>> 	Secondary slave 420M: Future Freebsd partition
>>
>> How do I create a new boot manager on the 4G, change the one on the 1G,
>> and then get it to find Freebsd's new location from then on? I've tried
>> various things with the boot and fixit floppies without success.
>> Fbsdboot'ing from the 4G results in a can't find root:panic. Thanks
>> for your help!

> Enter
> 	1:wd(2,a)kernel
> at the boot: prompt. The "wd(2,a)" tells the kernel, which device to
> mount as root device. To avoid entering the bootstring each time, you
> might want to use nextboot(8).

> Wolfgang

Ok. It finds the root and enters the emergency shell. However I'm unable
to edit any files or remake the devices (message- Read only file system) -
like I don't actually have root permissions. Also, vi complains 'unknown
terminal type' and won't start - is this the TERM variable (and what
should it be set to)?. Thanks again for your help!

Gerard Giamberdine
gerard@dimensional.com