Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:30:45 +0100
From:      "Jan Catrysse" <J.Catrysse@proximedia.be>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: DOH! ata_alloc_composite failed!

You should definitly upgrade to releng_6 there was a problem with this
earlier but it has been fixed a long time ago but most likely newer put
into the 6.2 branch.

> Someone has a clew on what this could be?
> Should I be worrying for my data?

The kernel will retry failed R/W so if it succeeds later no problem,
otherwise the application that tried to write the data will get the
error back from the kernel, data on disk will be as what the application
decides to do with a failed read or write.

> How can I do some more diagnostics without putting the server=20
> down (if possible)?

Nopes, you will need to instrument the kernel depending on what you want
to know.

> Please see my next post / question on Raid Synchronisation /=20
> Data Consistency.
>=20
> Kind regards,
> Jan Catrysse

I have gotten some feedback from the ATA(4) developer and pasted it in
the above post.

Regards
Jan Catrysse