Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: tcsh [TAB] ; man someth-[TAB]? [edwin]

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> From: Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
> To: FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: tcsh [TAB] ; man someth-[TAB]?
> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:41:14 +1000

Please remember to reply-to-all as a courtesy when posting (i.e. use a CC).

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 08:11:45PM -0500, Julian Peterson wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 8:02 pm, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > > Is it possible under tcsh (or any shell) to configure the "man" command line command so that the user can type: prompt$ man shutd[TAB]
> > > And have the shell display commands either in ones ${PATH} statement or that have manpages on the system?  Shweetniss.
> > Yes. add to your .tcshrc file: complete man 'p/*/c/'
> > It's documented in the tcsh(1) man page FYI.
> What I wonder (after trying man asprin* to test this) is how safe this is regarding wildcard-expansion:

By "safe" what do you mean?  If you accidentally did "man somefile.tgz" or
"man myfile.zip" man would normally (safely) report "No manual entry for
myfile.zip" or whatever.

> [~] edwin@k7>man a*
> No manual entry for adminspotting.png
> No manual entry for adstr.zip
> No manual entry for allegro-4.0.0
> No manual entry for allegro-4.0.0.tar.gz
> No manual entry for apache_1.3.20
> :-/
> Edwin
> --
> Edwin Groothuis      |           Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
> edwin@mavetju.org    |        Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:   |                    http://www.FatalDimensions.org/

So my advice would be -- Don't do that.  :)  Don't run man
[anything][wildcard_here]  *grin*

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder