Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:38:54 +0000
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Phoronix Benchmarks: Waht's wrong with FreeBSD 8.0?

Thomas Backman wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:47 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> I'm just wondering what's wrong with FreeBSD 8.0/amd64 when I read the Benchmarks on Phoronix.org's website. Especially FreeBSD's threaded I/O shows in contrast to all claims that have been to be improoved the opposite.
> Corrected link: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd8_benchmarks&num=1
>
> And yeah, quite honestly: disk scheduling in FreeBSD appears to suck... The only reason I'm not switching from Linux. :(
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> (PS. See my thread about horrible console latency during disk IO in the archives, very related. DS.)

Hello Thomas.
I recall myself having had similar problems during heavy disk I/O (UFS
and ZFS) with stuck console, stuck clients and especially stuck
X11-clients. The discussion was really 'hot', but in the end no clear
statement was made whether this is disk-i/o related or a deeper problem
in the scheduler.

Sorry for the lack of the link, I thought Phoronix is well known ...

Oliver