Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:43:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rich Alderson <mail@alderson.users.panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot failure in installation -- not ACPI related

Looking over the installation FAQ, the only reference I see to a crash has to
do with turning off ACPI in the BIOS.  I have already done that, and have
successfully installed Net and Open on an HP xw4300 workstation (64-bit Intel
Pentium D).

The amd64 bootonly 6.1RELEASE CD (burned from your .iso) boots and puts up a
countdown menu.  Then, whether the countdown ends or I select any of the 7
options in the menu, I immediately get the following:

    panic: No BIOS smap info from loader!

and the system has to be power-cycled to reboot.

Please point me at where I should look next.

                                                                Rich Alderson