Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:39:19 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6.1 in the base....

John Baldwin wrote:

> I don't mind that.  Perhaps fixing the perl port so that perl 5.6.1 can be
> installed on 4.x systems as a port would be the best approach to take.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

We're running 5.6.1 happily on all our 4.4 boxes (we need some CPAN
stuff that requires 5.6 for our daily work).

The only thing to keep in mind is to install the perl port before any
other perl packages, patch bsd.port.mk to set the environment correctly,
and optionally move the old perl binaries out of the way. Seems to work
like a charm.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute