Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:17:35 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Eric De La Cruz Lugo <eric@iteso.mx>
Cc:        treznor@sunflower.com, millioncheese@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RIVA TNT2 AGP 16 MB Video Card quiestion an X-Server question.

Eric De La Cruz Lugo wrote:

> Thanks to all of you for your responses I really apreciate it.!
>
> The reason I want this kind of board is because its cheap for me, and
> because I want good 2D and 3D capabilities on my FreeBSD BOX
> Yes there is a prejuidce about using FreeBSD as a user machine because
> everybody use it as a Server OS all the time, in my case I have used FreeBSD
> for several Years (back to 1992) and since 1994 I have used, Slackware,
> SuSE, Red-Hat, Debian, but I still like more FreeBSD :).

I am biased the same way. I tried Linux first almost exactly 2 years
ago. Then, a friend from where I used to work brought over his 4-cd
set of FreeBSD 2.2.8. I was comfortable out of the box with it. When
3.1 came out, I ordered the subscription from Walnut Creek. I could do
all of the things using FreeBSD that I had gotten used to since I was
introduced to unix on a Cray X/MP in 1988. The central code repository
for the system was what I had gotten used to and really didn't believe
in getting something here and something there and calling it a system.
There was almost 40 years of programming code control built into that
bias and you don't change them over night. I also really liked the
port system.

The systems I use have various levels of video cards and you can tell
the difference in speed when you are scrolling in x-windows. The TNT2
with 32MB seems to be just fine. I have a 4MB card in one system and
it blinks during the scroll. I jumped around 16MB and don't have any
idea about the speeds on that card.

> I want to use Xephem (Astronomical Software, with Hi Res images (stars,
> planets, nebulae etc...) and simulations in 3D
> I Want to use The GIMP (Graphic Image Manipulation Program)
> I want to use, Galeon or Netscape
> And maybe 1 or 2 3D games like Quake. MPEG or AVI video
> Star Office and maybe Applixware
> KDE 2 apps.

I just got kde-2.1 installed. I'm going to have to look at Xephem. I
haven't found a game I was interested in that ran on the Unix side.
With 30 GB ATA-100 drives being so cheap and needing more than one for
fast buildworlds, adding an OS like Windows ME didn't hurt. When XP
comes out, it will have connections to Windows 2000 and I will be able
to get rid of one of my multi-boots. The bank-on-line software only
ran in the Win 9x environment. I ran the games in W2K.

There is a lot of 3-d mapping software out there that is open source.
The 3-d with shading can produce an awesome looking local 3-d map. The
mapping software installs on FreeBSD just fine but was probably
developed on Linux. I may like FreeBSD much better but if Linux wasn't
there, I wouldn't have the software I like to use.

> hope this info put things into perspective, besides, this phrase: "Turning
> PCs into Workstations!"  itīs from FreeBSD doesnīt it?
>
> But for the server side (for those who still see FreeBSD as a Server OS), I
> want  to run a Webserver, FTP server and a Proxy and Firewall for my
> internal Network (4 PCs) all this with a cable connection..

My system with Apache on it doesn't have x-windows installed. That
keeps it clean, and fast :). The concept of running x on a web server
reminds me of my objection of using Windows 2000 for the same purpose
:).

Regards,

Kent

> greetings for all of you, from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico, The Maya Land.
>
> Eric.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com