Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 2004 18:08:04 +0200
From:      Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb@whacky.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Softpartitioning on FreeBSD ? (vinum?)

Hi,

I have been working with FreeBSD for a while now (several years), but
never on any professional grade hardware. Well, this is going to change
with my new server. It will have a hardware raid attached to it.
For this purpose I am looking for an implementation of Softpartitions as
they exist on Solaris when using Disksuite/SolarisVolumeManager.

I don't need anything that will configure a software mirror or raid, I
just need softpartitions to split up the LUN which will be created by my
storage hardware.

I browsed the vinumvm website but haven't really seen anything about it.
Do I need to look towards vinum, or is there something else I am missing ?
The server won't be build untill Q4 this year, so I'm hoping to utilize
any 5-RELEASE that may come up then since I'm already a fan of the
current -CURRENT which I actively use on my laptop.

Cheers,
 Stephan