Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 02:03:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@think.com>
To:        flexus!rfschtkt@colds.ruca.ua.ac.be
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After installing FreeBSD 2.1, my computer won't boot

Quoth Raf Schietekat on Mon, 5 August:
: Non-essential:
: Today I reinstalled NT to get some work done, because NT setup's repair did
: nothing.

That's what it usually does for me too, if I'm lucky.

: Lost a lot...

(Finger wagging:)  If you don't make backups...

: How can I boot FreeBSD from NT's NTLDR (what to put in BOOT.INI)? Should I
: instead try Linux's multi-OS boot mechanism (I'm going to try that OS anyway)?

I use ntldr with a boot.ini that runs bootsector code from germany
that boots to the BSD drive.  I will dust-off/ plug-inmy WinNT drive
and find the bootsector generator and mail you a copy of my boot.ini,
if you specifically request.  As for linux, I have a poor opinion of
the long-term maintenance cost of Linux and cannot recommend in favor
of it.

: Is it safe to install FreeBSD and leave the boot record alone (*will* it be
: left alone, how will FreeBSD got booted)? Was this a unique problem for me
: (specifying booteasy messing up the entire boot), or should this be pursued
: further (whom to contact)?

In my experience, installing FreeBSD always trashes everything.
The first, biggest readme should say prominently,

"Warning:  Installing FreeBSD will render your system completely
useless and corrupt all data within a 5 millisecond ping radius.
While we do not know of any physical detonations to date, it is
deemed inevitable that some unknown future release will cause the
explosion of incompatible hardware at installation"

: *** The year 2000 will be the last year of the 20th century. ***

We should be so lucky.