Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 08:16:07 -0400
From:      Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
To:        Atsushi Murai <spec.co.jp!amurai@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another reason not to change 0.0.0.0 into 192.0.0.1 in PPP

I've been reading about half of the *many* messages on this 192.0.0.1 thing.
I have seen one *very* strong argument as to why 192.0.0.1 should not be used
to request assignment of an address, and that is that it is a valid internet
address that is even in use by someone.  A weaker, but still cogent, reasons
are that it is not specified for this purpose in any RFC or spec.

On the other hand, I have seen *no* reason why it should continue to be used
except perhaps that somebody's ISP seems to want this during the negotiation
phase.  Basically, it sounds like somebody coding the stuff decided that they
needed a way to represent an address that is to be assigned by the provider,
so they said, "Let's use J. Random Class C address: 192.0.0.1".  It went in
the code and that was that.  This isn't a good reason for it to be there.

I don't understand the valid *technical reason* why Atsushi is fighting tooth
and nail over this change.  Until such reasons are proposed, it seems to me
that David has done the right thing.

							- Gene Stark