Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:47:21 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>, <portmgr@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, <ports@FreeBSD.org>, <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: REINPLACE

On 06/15/02 22:32, "Doug Barton" <DougB@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Ade Lovett wrote:
>>
>> On 06/14/02 18:15, "Doug Barton" <DougB@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>> At tremendous risk to my sanity, I'm going to try and make a rather
>>> obvious point one more time. You guys are putting a tremendous amount of
>>> effort into this REINPLACE stuff in order to avoid the simple, clean
>>> solution of not doing the patching 'in place' at all. I have the following
>>> (or something similar) in several of my ports:
>>>
>>> post-patch:
>>>       @ ${CP} ${WRKSRC}/configure ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched
>>>       @ ${SED} -e 's#-lpthread#${PTHREAD_LIBS}#g' \
>>>               ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched > ${WRKSRC}/configure
>
> Please tell me that you really are not so lacking in imagination.

No.  Just trying to maintain the status quo of perl -pi substituting
regexp's in place on files, without leaving other turds around.

> I use this exact technique in for loops in my ports. Take a look at
> xscreensaver for example. It used to have more files that needed the
> malloc patch, but at this moment in time it only has one. The code above
> works just as well in a for loop or not.

Yes.  I believed we did look at xscreensaver, once.  Still doesn't work as
is for xargs though, and still leaves turds.

> In the rare circumstance that this matters, you could use .orig if it
> makes you feel better (since we'd have to deal with that anyway). The
> other alternative is to simply remove the files, like it's sometimes
> necessary to do with the .orig files. Look at Spam Assassin for an
> example of that.

Of course it matters.  Any "extra" file generated within ../work has the
chance of buggering up the plist (and I'm sure you'll be first on the horn
to explain about plist breakage).  perl -pi doesn't leave turds around, and
can easily be used as part of a for loop, or xargs, or whatever.

If you have a real solution to this problem, one that does not violate POLA
in the $BIGNUM ports that use this technique, please feel free to provide a
full patch.  Until then, half-assed patches (of which we have many) are
abundant, until the authors actually understand what it is to affect 2000+
ports at one time.

> Plain and simple, this works. It also eliminates 90% of the silliness
> that y'all are considering. Of course, for some that's a point against
> my proposal. :)

You are seriously mistaken, my friend.  It does not work, for the reasons
detailed previously.  Whilst it may score highly on artistic impression, for
technical merit it is 0.0 across the board.   Sorry.

-aDe