Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 16:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@alpha.enc.edu>
To:        Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
Cc:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installing DES, yp

On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, Brian Litzinger wrote:

> > I've got some questions concerning getting 2.0.5-R to use DES and yp.
>
> > I THINK I've installed DES.  Basically, I went to the root dir and
> > [...]
> > Next, I seem to have yp working (it does seem to be talking to a server)
> > but passwords don't seem to translate between the two systems (should it
> > matter that the server is an AIX box?)  Now that I (think that I) have
> > DES installed, do I need to recompile the yp binaries?
>
> you need to make sure that the libcrypt* entries are links to the
> libdes* entries in /usr/lib.
>
> These links usually end up pointing to the wrong files when you
> simply untar the des.aa file onto your filesystem.

Ah-ha!  My password entries look MUCH more DES-like now.  Still, however,
yp doesn't seem to work.  Passwords are always bad.  Any ideas what
might be wrong?

thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X