Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:21:03 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp not "caching" package which triggered dial?

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 02:15:46AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 01:48:12AM +0200, Leif Neland wrote:
> > STABLE-2.2.6, user ppp:
> >
> > when the modem is offline, and I start something which triggers the dial,
> > eg browsing, fetchmail, cvsup etc, the line comes up, but nothing happens.
> >
> > If I stop eg fetchmail and restart it, it connects immediately.
> >
> > Does ppp not "remember" the package which triggered it, and send it when
> > the line is up?
> > Or does it expect the sender to resend it?
>
> There's an explanation on http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html.

Three unimplimented solutions are listed on the web page you mention.
I am aware of a simple, perhaps ugly, hack which works:  establish
two network addresses for the tunnel device.  One is for the fake
address when offline, and the other is of course for the assigned
dynamic address.

aaron@thud:~> ifconfig tun0
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 206.114.185.47 --> 207.198.22.100 netmask 0xff000000
	inet 10.0.0.1 --> 207.198.22.100 netmask 0xff000000

Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem of aliased packets
failing to get through on the first try.  That sure doesn't say much
for the generality or robustness of this solution.  However, if none
of the other three options listed are implimented, people who
really need that first packet to work could use this method.

Aaron