Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:32:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        louis@signalpath.on.ca
Cc:        advocacy@openbsd.org, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Merging Net/Free/Open-BSD together against Linux

> In my experience in the hardware domain, standards favour widespread
> adoption but stifle innovation.

You mean like FTP, SMTP, HTTP, HTMP, and MIME "stifle innovation"?

Or do you mean like ELF, DWARF, NROFF, and SGML "stifle innovation"?

Or perhaps ANSI, POSIX, and XPG/4?

I'd agree if you wanted to say "Bad standards, like ISA, stifle
innovation", though...

I think that software standards tend to codify interfaces, and that
hardware standards tend to codify implementations.

Very different spaces.

Not that I would mind rewriting all of libc to get rid off all static
or per thread allocated buffers, and to make all functions return only
status codes, forcing data returns to be implemented by passing a
return area by reference, mind you.  I would *love* to see:

	int
	ftell( FILE *stream, off_t*result)

	typedef u_int64_t	off_t;

(one example whre return values are overloaded to return error
information, to the detriment of the long term utility of the
interfaces).

I would also *love* to see a method whereby the argument sizes are
passed as part of the information so that system call interfaces
can be easily and safely versioned without proliferating entry
points.

But of course, that would constitute a "calling _standard_".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.