Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 16:45:52 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

[ Bring back in the reason that we're doing this ]

[ /usr/include/nfs contains .c as well as .h files ]

Poul writes:
> Since we want (as a medium term goal) to have our source compile
> without reference to /usr/include, then we will not need the
> links, and we can safely and decisively remove the SHARED!=copies
> case.

> If you develop kernel-dependent sw, you had better make sure that your
> development env is aligned with your kernel, ie something like:
>
> 	cd /usr/src/include ; make all install
> 	cd /usr/src/sys ; make all install

Garrett responds with:
> And I'm saying that it's an incredible imposition to force such
> developers to do this every time they make a change to a kernel header
> file.  I won't stand for it.

Nate sez:
> I agree with Garrett here.  It's silly to do this, and this will cause
> no end of problems when people forget to do this after they upgrade
> their kernel sources.  Forcing a 'make world' every update is much too
> anal.

Poul answers:
> Hang on, you lost an important point here:  Anything in the FreeBSD
> source will reference the "internal includes", that is relative paths
> to the include dirs.  Only things like $HOME/hello.c will be at risk...

At what gain are we doing this?  I believe it's a noble gain to have the
source tree compile w/out reference to /usr/include, but what does it
gain us?  The only thing I can see where it's a big deal is building a
brand-new $(DESTDIR) tree.  Other than that, most of the time I *want*
to use the files in /usr/include and NOT those in /usr/src (speaking as
a user-land kind of guy).

Also, by no-longer symlinking in the stuff from the current kernel, we
add a lot of complexity by requiring a new 'fill in the /usr/include'
tree with lots of varying files from /usr/src/sys.  Keeping this up to
date will be a pain in the butt!  Wouldn't it be just easier to separate
the include files from the sources files in the kernel?

Nate