Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:10:48 -0000
From:      "Neil Doody" <neil.doody@interserveis.co.uk>
To:        <godfrey@sol.aptsolutions.com>
Cc:        <jeff@unixconsults.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Maxtor Crashes

Hi, am I correct in thinking you two have both experienced random
unexplainable freebsd crashes, and you think its to do with the Maxtor
type hard drives?

Recently I have been getting signal 12 kernel panics, the other day I
had a different message of something about the filesystem doing a
boo-boo.  And even now when running a make world it may not reboot, but
receive a signal 11 with some corruption that would suggest it received
some kind of rubbish data.

These panics happen once a day roughly, but can be easily recreated by
running a make world as you have mentioned.

I have had everything replaced in the machine but the hard drive, which
is Maxtor, however I had the hard drive replaced today, and it was
another Maxtor hard drive.

A clean install of freebsd 4.6.2 was installed on the new Maxtor hard
drive, and since having it booted up I have not been able to complete a
build world to get the latest freebsd.

I have gone back to my host to request a non-maxtor drive be put into
the machine, do you guys truly believe it to be a problem with Maxtor
drives?