Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assigning a PID to a given program?

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Dragoncrest wrote:

> 	Ok, not sure if this is possible, but I thought I'd ask just in
> case.  What I'm looking to do is to assign a given Program ID number to a
> specific process if possible.  I know FBD assigns them automatically as
> they're executed, but I've hit into at least one or two apps that's looking
> for a particular program running on a particular PID (don't ask me
> why.  it's kinda stupid as far as I'm concerned) in order to connect to
> it.  Yet the program is running with a totally different PID.  Is there a
> way to assign a specific PID number to a program at launch or maybe even
> reset the PID counter to zero so that the program takes the lowest
> available PID at launch?  Just curious mostly.  Thanks.

This seems highly suspicious to me--any properly written software should
be relying on the host OS to assign the PID when the applicatin is
launched.  Are you sure it's not really looking for the active session's
PID in a variable or file that it's configuration is not creating or
updating?

Cheers,

Viktor