Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:25:38 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty on console (was RE: Syslog reports weird things)

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:57:01PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Since having a getty run on "console" seems to be causing problems, I
> think the best solution would be to turn it off & to teach sysinstall
> to notice you're using a serial console & enable ttyd0 for you.
>
> Opinions?

Well.... coming from Solaris and NetBSD/Sparc, if you install via
graphics console, then switch to serial console, everything still works
just fine.  The only way to get that is to turn ttyd0 on always.  But the
potential security risks make that a no-no.  I have not seen a problem
with the getty active on the console on any of my Alphas.  But from
discussions with msmith and bde, I know some of the reasons why people
feel it is wrong.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX