Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:31:16 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Minor number(s) for SCSI User (su) device?

Hi.

I wish to use the su device, which is configured into my
kernel via the 'pseudo-device' line.

MAKEDEV doesn't handle creating entries for this.

I can't find any documentation anywhere as to the
correct value for the minor device number.

The man page states:

     The su driver provides support for a process to address
      arbitrary locations on the scsi bus. Minor numbers are
     mapped 1:1 to bus:target:lun. The lowest three bits being
     LUN and the next three bits being TARGET. Re-
     maining bits are the bus number.

So, this leads me to think that the following should work
(for bus 0, target 2, lun 0):

     mknod /dev/su0-2-0 c 18 16

But any attempt to get a response via scsi(8) returns the
"Device not configured" message (the same command
works fine if I link the su0-2-0 file to the rdevN.ctl
file and run the command again).

Any suggestions/comments?

TIA,

AS