Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:08:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: GNU patch gone stale

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> > Our GNU patch has gone stale in the tree.  Anyone want to upgrade it to 2.5?
> > If not, I'll do it myself eventually. Patch 2.1 which we have now is broken
> > for certain diffs (recently tried with gimp 1.1.5-1.1.6 diffs), while 2.5
> > works fine.
>
> The gimp patch situation offers a good example why having contrib'ified
> things backed by a corresponding port can be a Good Thing.
>
> Naturally, using the updated version in ports/devel/patch is an easy
> workaround until you get contrib updated.  (We've encountered this
> here too)

I can't remember why, but you darn well better not just update patch
without seeing how it works with cvs.  It was discussed before in
current, and there's a good reason why it's where it is.

If you don't want a lot of people screaming at you, better do some
homework first.  If I find it first, I'll send it to you.

> Cheers,
>
> Jerry Hicks
> wghicks@bellsouth.net

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |