Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:22:28 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: large IDE disks

> > The drives should remap bad sectors by themselves, if that fails it has
> > no more spares, and are now "junk drives" (those some of the more
> > "ingenious" dealers try to sell anyways)... Use your 3 year warranty
> > to get it replaced ASAP.
>
> Are the bad sectors determined at the time of manufactruing or does the
> drive somehow automatically do this when it is reformatted?

The drive is "formatted" at manufacture time.  You can't (generally)
"reformat" an IDE disk without using a vendor-specific tool.  Part of
the formatting process sets aside sections of the disk as "spare".
When a region fails, accesses to the failing region are forwarded to a
replacement area from the spare region.

> Mainly, I am wondering whether the drives can automatically deal with new
> bad sectors as they appear.

This should be obvious from Soren's statement, but to clarify: yes, all
modern disks (IDE and SCSI) should be capable of remapping bad sectors
on the fly.  Note that SCSI disks generally offer options controlling
this behaviour; see the example in the scsi(8) manpage for details on
how to edit mode page 4, which contains the ARRE (reallocate on
recovered read error) and AWRE (reallocate on write error) flags.

Note that if ARRE is set and the contents of the sector cannot be
recovered, a hard error will be reported.  The only way then to force
the sector to be reallocated is to write to it.

mike