Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:28:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About..

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Robert wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Alejandro Salcedo wrote:
> > Hi Freebsd friends !!
> >    My question is : If I change the mother board in my computer, do I have
> > to re-install freebsd ??
>
> No. FreeBSD is on your hard drive. If you are using the same hard drive on
> your new MB, you should be fine.

	Don't forget that IDE hard drives will experience some problems
when moving from one BIOS to another.  I just recently replaced my MB and
had to reinstall on my 5.1GB drive but not my 1.2GB drive.  In fact, the
new mainboard had the same kind of BIOS.  Fortunately, it only had system
data and backups on it.

	As a caveat to this, I was able to access my old drive by simply
rewriting my partition table and disk label and boot manager.  But this
only lasted for one boot up.  After a reboot, this ability left.

	SCSI drives do not appear to have this limitation.  So if you're
running SCSI, and intend to keep your SCSI card, don't worry.  For IDEs,
look in the handbook for directions about using tar to dump your drive to
a stack of floppies.  (I once put 75-85MB of files onto 20-30 disks.  Its
a cool trick.)

> Also, please make sure your "To:" line is to "freebsd-questions". Many of
> us use filtering programs.

	Oops.  I've been screwing that up myself.  Sorry.

							Jaime