Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:51:37 -0700
From:      Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

Nate Williams wrote:
>This was my idea about a 'boot' config line.  The problems with this
>solution is:
>
>1) It assumes there is one PCIC controller.  (The existing code has the
>   same problem)
>2) It not 'boot-time' configurable.  It requires you to edit a file and
>   then reboot the box before the change can take place.

There's a kld version of the pcic code, right?  Can we use that to our
advantage?  I.e.

<bizarre idea>

boot
set sysctl variables
load the kld

We could then set up 2 variables, current unit number and current io
port.  The on load the kld reads the variables, sets its unit number
and io port appropraitely and starts up.  The sequence for multiple
pcics then looks like

boot
set sysctls for 1st controller
load 1st controller
set sysctls for 2nd controller
load 2nd controller

etc.

I think that allows each driver to continue to think that there's one
pcic.  I haven't checked the code to be sure that it would work,
though.  For one thing, I'm not sure how it allocates irqs, and
certainly don't want it stepping on itself.

I'm not sure how the PCI code interfaces with the kld stuff, but I
doubt that it (currently) reprobes the PCI bus when a kld is loaded.
We may be able to get around this by leaving one version oc the pcic
driver in the kernel, but it's probably neater to create a device that
only initializes the PCI pcics, leaving them in an appropriate
configuration for the dynamically loaded pcic klds to find them.
</bizarre idea>

Of course, that idea may be hacky enough that its better to just bite
the bullet, and try to get the pcic code to be aware of multiple pcics
directly.