Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:33:50 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates on root in 4.5-RELEASE

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:04:45PM -0500, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 09:55 am, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> | > |

> | > No.  That is, they ARE helpful.
> | >
> | > But with tagged queuing on a SCSI disk, write caching isn't dangerous, so
> | > there's no reason not to use it.
> | >
> | > With an IDE disk, write caching IS dangerous.
> | >
> | > Another advantage of SCSI.
> |
> | Ok, so currently this BSD system runs off SCSI with soft-updates on
> | everything, except root.
> |
> | Would you recommend that optimal performance would be achieved, without
> | danger, by enabling write-caching as well ?
>
> Yes, if you have tagged queuing.  Check your messages (dmeg).

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s2a
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
da0: <QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS 0230> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
da0: 80.000MB/s transfers (40.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
Enabled

> | And what would you recommend therefore with root, which has neither
> | enabled at the moment ?
>
> Provided it's reasonably large (say, over 100M).

Yes it is larger than that.

> But you can't enable/disable write-caching on a per-partition basis anyway.
Yes, of course.

Ok, that sounds good.
Mmm. I am curious and will try this.
One thing for anybody considering wanting to go broke in a hurry, I
personally can verify that SCSI makes a *huge* difference on a system.
Buildworld, compared to doing it on my IDE drives, just blinks by in
comparison. If this may make it even faster I will be impressed :)

But the price differential is phenomenal ...at least here in Holland :(.

e.g 40GB   7200 ATA 100   = 138 Euros (c. $160)
    36.7GB 7200 SCSI U160 = 389 Euros (c. $480)

Also I get the feeling SCSI drives seem to have their sizes specified
where 1K = 1000, IDE drives where 1K = 1024.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>