Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:39:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Sims <jellicle@inch.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: dual-boot to second drive

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 25-Mar-00 Michael Sims wrote:
> >
> > I have two physical IDE drives, primary master C: with Win98, and primary
> > slave with (I hope) a successful installation of FreeBSD 3.4 on it from
> > CD-ROM.  I say "I hope" because I don't have any way to boot into it
> > except by booting the 3.4 CD-ROM, which starts the installation process,
> > or by booting from the kernel and mfsroot floppies I made, which also
> > start the installation process.
> >
> > Now, I believe I need a boot manager at the beginning of the C: to query
> > me whether I want to boot into Windows or FreeBSD.  However, _The Complete
> > FreeBSD_ sure doesn't seem to discuss this particular situation, at all.
> > What is the best way of doing this without running any significant risk of
> > devastating the C:?
>
> Boot up into the installation.  Don't reinstall FreeBSD, but instead go to
> Configure -> Fdisk -> wd0 -> type 'Q' to exit that screen -> BootMgr should
> be selected, so just hit Enter, and that should do the trick.  If you want
> a nicer looking boot manager, go into Windows 98, pop in the FreeBSD CD, and
> look in the tools/ subdirectory for osbsbeta.exe.  (Don't worry, it says beta,
> but I've never had any problems with it).  Make a bootable floppy, then copy
> osbsbeta.exe over onto the floppy.  Pop up a DOS window and run osbsbeta while
> on A: to extract it.  It contains a README, and you can just boot your system
> off the floppy to install it.  Be sure and save a copy of your current MBR when
> doing this so that in case something does happen to break for some weird reason,
> you can restore your working setup.  That is detailed in the README, IIRC.

This doesn't work for what I want to do.  OS-BS will let me dual-boot to
any OS's that have partitions on the primary hard disk - but that disk is
100% Win98.  Every example I've seen assumes that there are multiple
different OS partitions on a single hard disk, and the second disk, if
any, is only used to provide some more space for OS whatever.  This page:

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multi-os/ch3.html

covers *that* situation fairly well.  What I'm looking for is any way to
boot to an OS that does NOT have a partition on the primary master hard
disk in the system?

-- Michael Sims