Date:      Fri, 29 May 2015 00:33:31 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Johannes Jost Meixner <xmj@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need help reducing compilation warnings in CURRENT

--Apple-Mail=_122A08D4-7846-4B54-AD3B-9440A864F4A0

On 28 May 2015, at 21:09, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:38 AM, Johannes Jost Meixner <xmj@freebsd.org>
>> The warnings are almost all in contrib/ areas. Hence, any fix might
>> want to probably be submitted to upstream first.
>>
> Sure, if we can push fixes upstream that would be great.
> However, we shouldn't let that block us from comitting fixes to FreeBSD.

Yes, that should block us in most cases, since it will make future
merges more difficult.

We should only fix these types of warnings locally, if:
1) The contrib project's upstream is dead, unresponsive, or hostile.
2) You are sure that you don't introduce new bugs by modifying stuff.
   (You definitely don't want to repeat e.g. Debian's OpenSSL fiasco.)
3) You are sure that the warning exposes a real bug, that cannot be
   worked around in some other way.
4) You are sure that you want to take the maintenance burden of future
   merges.

> The advantage of having code in the FreeBSD repo is that we can
> change it if we need to, even if the fix isn't yet in the upstream sources.
> Contrib code is not made out of stone that can't be modified!

Certainly not, but unless you have very good reasons to modify upstream
code locally, you should not bother.  Better spend your energy to file
fixes upstream, and let *them* verify that they are correct.

-Dimitry