Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:15:50 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        stox@enteract.com
Cc:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

"Kenneth P. Stox" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> > > Well, I wouldn't be so fast to attack Rick Belluzo. I just saw his keynote
> > > at COMDEX this evening, and among other things he did announce SGI's
> > > support of LINUX, and the intent of SGI to donate technology to the Open
> > > Software Community. So far, I have not seen any other big vendor announce
> > > the same intent to do so.
> >
> > Sun?  IBM?  Intel?
> >
> > Oh that's right, they're all too small to count.  But they did beat
> > SGI to the punch on the Linux thing.
>
> Well, I'm not so sure about that. What technology has Sun, IBM, or Intel
> agreed to to donate to Linux right now ? I know Sun has made Java open,
> but have they donated any technology directly to the O/S ?

Sun gave them a StarFire to play with.  Is that enough?  How many multi-
million dollar machines do they need?  ;^)

IBM has sent several dozen workstations and a couple of large SMP
servers to their Linux PPC partner, somewhere in Florida.  Motorola
has 3 engineers doing full-time support for Linux on their CPU boards
over in Computer Division.

SGI is already dead, they just haven't bothered to fall over yet.
Their executive staff have been driving them into the ground for
years, so it's not surprising.